Browsed by
Tag: death

Ambiguous Loss

Ambiguous Loss

My counselor recommended that I read Ambiguous Loss because she saw themes of unresolved anxiety and sorrow from my aunt’s terminal cancer and my father’s declining physical health. I didn’t get around to reading the book until after my aunt had already died, but the author, Pauline Boss, covers grieving the inevitable loss of a loved one from cancer, so maybe it would have been helpful. I don’t know how I’m supposed to help myself with self-help books. I’m not…

Read More Read More

Ed Is Dead

Ed Is Dead

My internet friend Ed Shimmy died yesterday. Back in March, a friend shared a comic by Ed Shimmy about having pancreatic cancer. I had a 75% chance of having thyroid cancer and was waiting to hear results from the biopsy. Having what was likely stage 1 thyroid cancer was absolutely nothing like having late stage pancreatic cancer. If Ed could be brave, so could I. I was one of the lucky 25%. I did not have cancer. In gratitude, I…

Read More Read More